Printing the eclipse

Untitled photo

Photos

  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo
  • Untitled photo

We have all heard it before, that printing is complicated, hard, time consuming, rewarding, and adds a whole new dimension to your images. To the newbie it seems simple enough, until that is it goes wrong. Lots of people use print labs of course, but then there can still be issues. 

With time and patience, Youtube and friends that can help you when things go wrong, it does get easier. But there has always been one part that has held me back, the displaying of these prints. From cutting the mounts to the right ratio and size, to finding the frames. Of course once again this can be outsourced, the price is a deterrent when there are so many other priorities vying for the budget.

Then one day I found an old print from an exhibition that was mounted on foamcore. After a few weeks mulling over the idea of how to display it, I was cleaning up and saw a canvas frame we had brought from a dollar store for another project. The cogs in my brain began to clunk together and an idea came into being. Mount the print to the canvas frame and use the frame to mount the hardware for hanging the image. Because the canvas frame was considerably smaller, it was hidden from view, this allowed the image to stand out in more than one way. 

One of the best advantages of being part of a camera club, is the range of skills that you can learn if the people are kind enough to share. Les printed the image for me on his beautiful A2 printer, Jim taught me how to mount and trim the image on foamcore (the new self adhesive foamcore boards are great). Then Kelly helped me with the final mounting of the image. To the left you can see the steps I took to make the print and mount it.   

I hope this gives you a few ideas.     

              

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In